Sunday, February 1, 2009

A reunion with my mother

It was a miracle and unexpected meeting with my mom after a long time gap in the WW II story tribulation. Against all odds my Mom found me among the thousand or so confused kids and old men shuffling and stumbling excitedly around. I was laying on my ‘cot’ the 4”x10” boards on the saw horses. I was sick as a dog, and simply too weak and miserable to move. All I had been able to do, when I first heard the loud commotion and some talk of surrender, was to drag myself in the direction of the front gate. I remember vaguely hearing some mention of a “really big bomb.” Honestly, I was too exhausted to care. All I wanted to just lie down and be left alone! Looking back, I frankly believe I had reached the end ; I had ‘run out of gas,‘ and it was time for me to give up.’

Yes, I believe I can say that I have some idea of how Anne Frank must have felt as a death camp slave. I believe I know how that dear young girl must have suffered in her final hours… Utterly, hopelessly alone… no one to care for her… no one to stroke her hair… without a touch of comfort… completely forsaken in a brutal World War II!

And this a heart melting tragic experience in the WWI story. Do words exist that can adequately describe how a ten-year-old kid feels, after having been separated for almost a year, to have his loving Mother gently hug him... of your dear, sweet mother’s tears drenching your face after such a long, bitter, hopeless, seemingly endless experience? I believe not… at least, I have not been able to find the words. When Mr. Ralph and Cathy Brink explain this uncomfortable tragic book of World War II of course it should an inspiration for the youngsters to thirst and do something for universal peace and harmony even in the midst of diversity of caste, creed, culture and language.

No comments: