Wednesday, October 1, 2008

FROM BOY SLAVE TO RICHES – II Part

Next we repatriated to Holland, a cold and wet country. I went to school, was a lousy student, and wanted to leave as soon as possible for a warm climate; but not before I met and married Cathy, a cute Dutch-Indonesian girl. She lived in Holland as a child during the Nazi oppression.

We applied for visas and emigrated to California in 1956 - I had =ll of $45 in my pocket. I started as a gas station attendant, and we lived with my older brother in a small attached garage with a dirt floor.

After about 1/2 year I enlisted in the
U.S. Army. We bought and lived in a 14' trailer. So far, I had yet not found any gold on the streets in the U.S.A.! As a private I probably was at the bottom rung of the economic ladder!

The WW II story which is explained in the book of World War II is mostly filled with lot of suffering aspects, but we should take it as inspiring ones. The Japanese death camps in Ambarawa were horrible. The death camp slaves suffered a lot. This WWII story is explained through a kid’s view.

No comments: